The Elliott Academy Marks a 19th century boarding school for children of Choctaw freedmen. Established here in 1869 as Oak Hill Industrial Academy by Presbyterian Board of Missions as boarding school for children of Choctaw Freedmen. Academy succeeded small school begun in 1860 by ex-slave and Presbyterian Minister Charles W. Stewart to serve numerous black families who had settled here after Civil War. Name changed in 1912 after David Elliott gave funds for new dormitory in memory of his wife, Alice Lee. Students cleared and operated large farms to help support the school. Hundreds of students trained at academy before closure in 1936.