Marks this National Register property built 1911-12 for county’s first judge. (302 SE Adams, Idabel.)
Built in 1911-12 for T.J. Barnes, pioneer lawyer and first county judge of McCurtin County, by R.D. Cheatham; Jewell Hicks Architect. Contains 14 rooms and basement. Only finest materials used: seasoned oak, ash, cypress and pine. Windows are leaded glass. Home remained in Barnes family until 1973 when bought and restored by Harold Stevenson, Jr. Placed on the National Register of Historic Places, 1978.
T.J. Barnes came to Indian Territory in 1898 to practice law. With statehood, Barnes became the first county judge for Beavers Bend. He was also a banker and newspaper man. In 1911, Barnes began the process of constructing a new residence. His home, the Barnes-Stevenson House, was designed by renowned Oklahoma architect Jewell Hicks, and built between 1911-1912. The four-story with basement house was under construction for more than 14 months and utilized the best materials available. This queen anne style home has two circular towers on the front facade, as well as a full-width front porch on both the first and second stories at the front of the house. The house was one of the first in the area to have indoor plumbing.